Recipe of the day:
Crunchy Baked Tilapia
We are used to eating deep fried tilapia or grilled tilapia, but have you ever tried baking one that is also crunchy as good as deep fried? You gotta try it! It’s good and less calories!
What you’ll need:
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 egg whites
- tilapia fillets
- ¼ cup bread crumbs
- ¼ cup corn meal
- ½ tsp oregano, finely chopped
Let’s get started!
- Pre-heat oven for 15 minutes.
- In a shallow bowl, combine flour, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, beat egg whites until fluffy and frothy.
- Get another bowl, combine bread crumbs, corn meal and oregano (either fresh or dried).
- Start breading the tilapia fillets. Dip first in flour (shake excess off), then dip in egg whites, and finally to the bread crumbs mixture.
- Spray baking pan with cooking spray/oil. Lay the fillets flat on the pan. Cover with aluminum foil for even baking.
- Bake for 10 to 15 minutes.
This dish is best served with steamed rice and atchara (a pickle made from unripe papaya). I’ll share with you how to make an atchara soon! For now, enjoy your meal! 🙂